Brushing and flossing are essential for maintaining your oral health, but you can’t stop there. To make sure your mouth stays healthy and disease-free, it’s also crucial to get regular dental exams and cleanings by your dentist. It’s recommended that you visit your dentist every six months, but your frequency of visits can also depend on your unique situation, your oral health, and what your family dentist suggests.
At Centre Family Dentistry, we want you to have a healthy, beautiful smile for life! We believe the best way to avoid dental health conditions is to stay ahead of the curve with preventive dentistry or by treating them in the early stages when they’re still reversible.
The Mouth-Body Connection
It’s often said that the mouth is the gateway to the rest of the body. Countless scientists assert a strong link between oral health and systemic diseases, which is why it’s so important that we practice good nutrition and oral hygiene habits.
When our teeth and gums aren’t properly cleaned and maintained, bacteria and toxins can sneak past our body’s many defenses and lead to illness or infection. For example, periodontal (gum) disease can lead to tooth loss, heart disease, and other potentially life-threatening health issues.
Luckily, good oral hygiene, such as daily brushing and flossing and regular dental visits, can help keep your mouth healthy and functional. Ultimately, a healthy smile leads to a healthier, happier life!
The Importance of Regular Dental Exams and Cleanings
One of the many ways we prevent oral health conditions and keep an eye on our patients’ smiles is by performing regular oral examinations and teeth cleanings. During our full-mouth examinations, we check each smile to make sure there are no signs of decay, disease, or oral cancer.
At Centre Family Dentistry, you can expect Dr. Humbert to do the following:
- Review your medical and dental records. Oral health and full-body health are connected, which is why Dr. Humbert must review all of your medical records and medications, especially if you have a health condition.
- Perform a full-mouth exam. This exam allows Dr. Humbert to look into your mouth and check your teeth, gums, tongue, cheeks, and lips. He does a traditional visual exam while also using intraoral cameras to help him look at your oral health in more detail.
- Take digital x-rays. Our ultra-safe digital x-rays allow us to look for any potential underlying oral health issues that cannot be seen with the naked eye.
- Screen for oral cancer. We screen for oral cancer at every dental visit to make sure your smile is as healthy as it is beautiful.
- Promptly treat any signs of decay or disease, as needed. If Dr. Humbert notices any signs of decay, gum disease, or other areas of concern, our team quickly springs into action. If we’re unable to address the issue at the current appointment, we will schedule you for an upcoming visit so we can treat you right away.
Contact Your Family Dentist in Fort Collins, CO
Whether you’re an avid brusher or you haven’t been to the dentist in a while, we are here to help you have a brighter, healthier smile. If you’re ready to book a dental exam for yourself or a loved one, please contact us today at our Fort Collins, CO dental office.